Wednesday 12 August 2015

Day 10

Got away more slowly than I expect given I was up at 6:00. Repacking now I am a bag less (although I didn't lose as much as I hoped) was the issue. Squeezed everything in eventually. The urban area of Bergamo was quickly passed followed by a drab commercial/industrial belt. Once clear the road settled down in relatively gentle undulations that became more aggressive as the day progressed. Morning was relatively flat by previous standards. Wind gentle and in my face initially but strengthening during the morning. Spent the early hours being passed, with depressing speed and regularity, by Lycra-clad sports cyclists on svelt road bikes. With the road well populated with bars I got into a rhythm of stopping for 15 minutes in each 90, having a fabulous Italian Coffee, filling my water bottles and looking cool (the last being a matter of opinion). 

The villages are ochre, mocha, russet and mustard with red tiled roofs. Each dominated by a tall, slim church bell tower. Each village could provide photo opportunity but I'd never get anywhere! The countryside is astonishingly beautiful. Just to prove me a liar this one had white houses!



 The road is steeply undulating over cols between scenic valleys. The mountains are gorgeous, steeply sloped and wooded to their dragon toothed summits. Wind became more supportive around 11:00 but it was a trick and didn't last. 

Stopped to make lunch about 35 minutes before Como (chicken curry would you believe - in 35°) but put it in a thermal bag and continued to Como. Great ride down from the ridge. Como is, naturally, spectacular. Enjoyed lunch on a bench by the lake. 


Caught the funicular railway up to the village of Brunate to enjoy the view and have a beer. I wasn't diassapointed. Not to bad a view from the bar even if the heat haze is intense. 


Left Como towards Switzerland and Lugano. Quick physical geography update. Lakes live in valleys. If two lakes are in the same valley this is good news for cyclists. If they are not there are consequences. Lakes Como and Lugano do not share the same valley. Rode out of the valley and paused for water, a Magnum, and a Calipo on the approximate top. The barman filled my bottles with half ice, half water. If there is a heaven he is going! The difference between blood-temperature (or above in the sun) water and ice water cannot be adequately described! He also recommended a campsite on the Lake before the town of Lugago which is where I am now. Again not too bad a spot. This is the view from my site!



Going to cook supper (noodles and tuna) and get to bed once it's dark. 

Photos (which are particularly pretty) uploaded. http://philholden.smugmug.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment