Tuesday 11 August 2015

Day 8

,Awoke to a beautiful morning (again!). Temperatures predicted to be (and were) noticeably cooler. Only a chilly temperature of around 30°C (86°F). The cost of this is a very strong, and adverse, wind. The cyclist enemy. Early start, heading almost directly west so led by my long shadow non the road ahead. 

Today was the start of the Italian Lakes and I was looking forward to them. Geography again essentially flat but the wind made it seem uphill all day. Wonderful cycle lanes through past (or through) cornfields and vineyards. 

Made good progress to Lake Garda where I had a lakeside breakfast at Peschiera del Garda. Received a call from my brother, Derek, confirming that I can drop some of my kit with his supplier in Bergamo. This is good news. I can't remember if I noted elsewhere that I am equipped to be comfortable in all circumstances. This has the consequence that I am uncomfortable in every circumstance. The bike us just too clumsily and heavy. I need, and now can, to lose some load! Molte grazie fratello!

The southern end of the lake is not mountainous and there is extensive bicycle use by the vacationing Italians and Germans - with universal protected cycle ways. Onwards to the peninsula and charming tourist hot-spot of Sirmione. Beautiful, charming, crowded. In a good mood. 



Decided to change my route and not go directly to Bergamo but take in an extra lake (lago d'Iseo). Had enormous navigational problems with Google Maps (in walking mode) continually taking me to motorway junctions any trying to encourage me to cycle on them. Wasted a mass of time and energy. I now have the solution having (overnight) discovered that TomTom has a cycling option which I tested on this journey. Excellent. 

Mountains now, rather ominously, in close view. Arrived at dusk at Iseo. Good day. Pictures of Iseo in next post. In the meantime some examp,e from the day and, as usual, the balance on http://philholden.smugmug.com/







No comments:

Post a Comment