Sunday 9 August 2015

Day 3

Woke up feeling much improved. Nice breakfast and swift goodbye to Joe, Eva and Lana. It had been short - but lovely to visit. 

The cycle to the port of Valbiska was short, quick and not too hilly. Arrived just as the ferry was about to leave for Merag on the island of Cres. Within 5 minutes we were on our way.  A great (but sadly misleading) start.


Arriving at Merag I needed water. The small cafe staff informed me there was not water on this side of the island (as it turned out to be true anywhere on my route) and I would be welcome to buy as much as I wanted at monopoly prices. I did, but again unfortunately, conservatively.  The "port" consists of the ferry terminal and the cafe. Whatever, onwards and (definitely) upwards. Cres greets you with a 3km 10% climb. The route across Cres consists of two really big climbs followed by descents. I soon ran out of water which was dangerous. No choice but to carry on and I was lucky to meet a lovely family of three from Barcelona who had stopped by the roadside in their camper van. Mar, the daughter, spoke English and they gave me two liters of bottled water. Many thanks for this kindness.

Cres has nothing (remarkable or otherwise) except fantastic views if the Adriatic and islands which, on a loaded bike, come at some cost. Eventually saw the sea as the sun was setting and made the long downhill ride with some relief. 








Had a lovely early evening beer in the "port" of Porozina while waiting for the ferry to Brestova on the Istrian mainland. Optimism increased (mistake).


Brestova, on the Istrian peninsula has no facilities. Three of the four ports I had visited this day have a common characteristic. They are at the bottom of huge hills. This was one. It was dark, it was lonely, there were no lights and by 10pm I was still climbing and exhausted. Started looking for somewhere to crash for the night. No real luck but eventually found a stony lay-by and made a bed. Sticky, dusty but a gorgeous starry sky and irritatingly loud cicadas. 

Things need to improve!











No comments:

Post a Comment