Sunday 9 August 2015

Day 5

Rose early and messed about packing. Rode confidently to the port (there appear to be several) to look for the big ship to take me to Venice. No big ship!? Mmmm. Marco had pointed out the place on the map during my euphoria about finding a room. Attention deficit perhaps? Small panic ensured while I searched the various quay sides. Eventually spotted a large group of people queuing on a dock close to a small(ish) boat - turned out to be a catamaran for the technical. Disappointed at the size (no jokes please) but thrilled at its existence Betty and I boarded. (For the Un-briefed Betty is my bicycle). 

However, once settled I noticed the attraction of early morning Rovinj. 


Uneventful two hour trip to Venice. The ferry is mainly for day trippers from Rovinj to Venice. Crew cross-sold lots of excursions for these customers. As I was a one-way day tripper I bought two of them (Review shortly). Venice is a big place for less than a single day so I needed a pre-booked hotel and a plan. Hotel was organised by Laterooms and the plan was to use a James Bond theme. Many janesxBind scenes are in Venice. Unbelievably (especially during my many visits to Eastern Europe on "Business" I have been suspected of being a spy (ridiculous I know - shades of Mr. Bean). So, I thought a James Bond theme would be great. 

Arrived on time at the dock at San Basilio and was quickly through immigration. Cycled to Piazzale Roma where cycling finishes. Venice, for those who have not been is either foot or water. My hotel was in the North West corner of the island. Venetian canal bridges are like some life's, short and brutal. One was quite impossible with my loaded bike and I had help from potentially a real, rather tha metaphoric, Samaritan.  Short aside. The Merchant of Venice has Shylock, a Jew, as the eponymous merchant. The North West quarter of Venice where I was staying was heavily, and quite charmingly ( not sure if that is the right word) Jewish. I'm. To sure how this worked out given the history of the 20th Century but it is quite striking. More later. 

Checked in, showered, and went out to play. First place of note was a great bar where I had Chiceti ( or Chiccetti is you prefer) for lunch with an excellent Pinot Grigot. This us a residential district and prices are great €1.50 for each Chiccetti and €2.50 for the wine. In general I found eating and drinking very reasonable if you stayed away from the tourist honey traps. 

What can you say about Venice? It needs to be experienced. Spectacular, amazing, unique, scruffy, bonkers. However, staying with the Bond theme I went for a Gondola ride (Moonraker) and took a motorboat water taxi along the Grand Canal (the two trips I bought from the ferry). The Gondola ride is an absolutely necessary tick in the box. Having said that, it is a complete anachronism. We went once around the block. Got in to 4 traffic (gondola?) jams in that journey. Basically, it is Disney. It is one gondola following the next through very charming canals. Completely impractical and only requires The addition of puppets to be "It's a Small World" or "Pirates of the Carribean". Definitely has to be done none the less. Good marks for this trip. 



The water taxi along the Grand Canal was less good value. A pass on the waterbus would have been cheaper and more flexible but, what the heck!  Saw the Bond Hotel (Danielli -Moonraker) and many of the bridges. 


Checked out Piazza San Marco, the glass factory (Moonraker) and wandered randomly. Everywhere is a photo opportunity at large scale. Close up it is falling apart. The most ubiquitous sign in Venice is for the loo. It is on every pavement. Apparently it costs €1. They should invest in better signage!




Returned to my hotel, via the first bar, and had a drink with Andy (from Lowestoft) and his partner. He recommended a pizza in a close square which I tried out (excellent). As I mentioned before this is a Jewish area and there was an early evening sing-song and dance thing going on.  Not sure if it was impromptu or organised. About 50 people. Also a girl facing a particularly ordinary wall and praying in the nodding manner you see in Jerusalam. Mystifying but amazingly atmospheric in the sultry Venice evening. 

Went to bed. Loads more pictures will appear on Smugmug when I get the bandwidth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment